A number of services, including the buses and libraries, will have reduced opening hours or service over the spring break which runs from 3 - 21 April 2023.
The majority of university services will also be closed for the Easter weekend bank holidays from 7 - 10 April 2023, except for the Open Access Centre in Poole House (Talbot Campus) which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Opening hours for core BU services are below:
The Achieve team will be available throughout the spring break, Monday to Friday, 9am - 4:30pm, apart from the Easter weekend bank holiday (7 - 10 April). You can contact the team by emailing [email protected] or via the AskBU phone number - 01202 969696.
Additional Learning Support
The ALS office will be open Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm, but closed for the Easter weekend bank holiday (7 - 10 April). You can contact the team by calling 01202 965663 or email [email protected]. Any appointments booked with staff will carry on as normal.
AskBU will be open during the spring break as below, but closed for the Easter weekend bank holiday (7 - 10 April). You can contact the team by calling 01202 969696, or email [email protected], or check the online FAQs. Opening hours at The Base in Poole House (Talbot Campus) and Helpdesk at Bournemouth Gateway Building (Lansdowne Campus) are:
- Monday to Thursday: 9am - 5pm
- Friday: 9am - 4.30pm.
Please note: The Base at Poole House will also be closed on Monday 17 and Tuesday 18 April, you will still be able to contact the team by phone, email, or drop in to Bournemouth Gateway Building.
There will be a reduced UNIBUS service from Monday 3 April, with normal services beginning again on Monday 24 April.
Careers & Employability
The Careers & Employability service will be open in the Careers Centre (outside the library, Talbot Campus) over the spring break, from Tuesdays to Thursdays only, 1pm - 4pm.
You can still book an appointment with a Careers Advisor during the holiday period - Mondays through Fridays (except bank holidays). We have appointments face-to-face on Talbot and Lansdowne Campuses, via teams/zoom or phone. MyCareerHub is also available 24/7 to search for jobs, resources and advice. Please contact [email protected] for any queries.
The Cash Office in Poole House will be open from 10.30am - 2pm, Tuesday - Thursday.
Faith & Reflection
Both libraries will be open during the spring break:
- Weston Library at Bournemouth Gateway Building, Lansdowne Campus, will be open 24/7 during the spring break. Staffed service at helpdesk available 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday, except on the bank holidays
- The Sir Michael Cobham Library at Talbot Campus will be open Monday to Friday, 8am - 8pm and Saturday and Sunday, 10am - 6pm. Staffed service at helpdesk available 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday. The library will be closed for the Easter weekend bank holiday (Friday 7 April to Monday 10 April inclusive).
Our Chat and phone enquiry service will be available from 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday, other than during the Easter weekend closure period. During this time we will be operating an out of hours telephone service, which is available 24/7 – 01202 965959. Check online for full library opening hours.
The Library’s e-journals and e-books are all available off campus, using your BU username and password. Check out our library guide on logging into e-resources from off-campus for more detail. Also, the Study Skills area on Brightspace has lots of resources and online tutorials to help you brush up on skills such as revision and exam techniques.
The Student Medical Centre will be closed for the spring break, but the Talbot Medical Centre (TMC) at 63 Kinson Road and the Northbourne branch at 1368 Wimborne Road are open 8am - 6.30pm, Monday - Friday. TMC is also open until 8pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call 01202 965378 to book an appointment or get advice. Out of hours advice and guidance can be found on our urgent medical and wellbeing support page.
The University Music practice rooms will be open as normal, but closed for the Easter weekend bank holiday (7 - 10 April).
Please contact [email protected] for any queries.
Open Access Centre
The Open Access computer centre in Poole House (Talbot Campus) is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The main office will be open as usual during the spring break but closed over Easter weekend bank holiday (7 - 10 April). All halls of residence will have a member of staff available 24/7 over the period and/or an emergency telephone number for you to contact a member of staff. If you are unsure what this is please speak with your local accommodation team.
If you're living in Unilet accommodation, you should continue to use your usual out of hours support and call the main Poole House reception number (01202 524111) for emergencies.
If you’re living in private accommodation, including a property arranged through LettingsBU, you should have an out of hours numbers to call, so contact your landlord or agent direct if you haven’t or are unsure.
SportBU facilities will be open during the spring break, as per the hours listed below, but closed for the Easter weekend bank holiday (7 - 10 April). Opening hours are:
- Monday - Friday: 7.15am - 7.15pm
- Saturday - Sunday: 9am - 4pm
There will also be a reduced timetable for group fitness classes during the holidays - find out more on the SportBU webpages.
The Student Wellbeing office will be closed for the duration of the spring break and there will be no drop-in sessions running. There will be a reduced appointment based service on Tuesdays and Thursdays for those already registered with Student Wellbeing. Out of hours advice and guidance can be found on the urgent medical and wellbeing support page.
During the spring break SUBU Advice is open for enquiries Monday to Friday, 10am - 4pm, in the Student Centre, 2nd floor. The team also offers drop-in sessions from 11am - 12pm, Monday - Friday.
For more information you can get in touch/ book an appointment by calling 01202 965 779 or emailing [email protected].
The University Retreat is a drop-in service for any student who needs face-to-face mental health support. If you feel that you're potentially approaching a point of crisis, then this service is here to support you. You don’t need an appointment; simply come in and talk to one of our friendly team. The University Retreat will be open over the Spring Break from Monday to Saturday, 2pm - 9pm, except for the bank holidays:
- Friday 7 April, open 12pm - 7pm
- Monday 10 April, open 10am - 5pm.
Bournemouth Uni Food outlets
For more information about Bournemouth Uni Food catering, please visit the Uni Food Hub app. The following outlets will be available to all colleagues and students across Talbot and Lansdowne campuses during these hours:
- Starbucks, Atrium: Mon - Fri from 8:30am until 4pm
- Costa, Fusion Building: Mon - Fri from 8:30am until 4pm
- Hot food counter, Fusion Building: Mon - Fri from 12pm until 2pm
- Costa, Bournemouth Gateway Building: Mon - Fri from 9am until 3pm.
While the university services are closed over the spring break, you may find the following external services helpful if you need immediate support:
- NHS 111 (the non-emergency number to contact the NHS)
- Police 101 (the non-emergency number to contact the police if it is less urgent than a 999 call)
- Student Assistance Programme (free 24/7 confidential helpline and online resources)
- Student Space (for wellbeing resources and advice from Student Mind)
- Dorset Mind
- Connection (24/7 mental health helpline)
- The Retreat (mental health support from 4.30pm-midnight every day)
- Samaritans or Samaritans Bournemouth & District (for urgent emotional support)
- The Shores (if you have experienced sexual abuse)
- Steps 2 Wellbeing (for anxiety, depression, stress, mental health and wellbeing)
- UKCISA (for concise and student friendly guidance on all aspects of international student support including immigration)
- GOV.UK - Find an immigration adviser (if you need urgent immigration representation).